Monday, March 22, 2010

Predicaments With Proximity

I've recently noticed how many relationships I have been involved in that were based purely and soley on proximity and superficial interests alone. I find it fairly amusing and awe inspiring the way we, as a people develop these relationships. Are we that desperate for another human's attention or so fond of conforming to the environment that surrounds us that we piece these broken bridges together to make a rickety cobble stone road of a friendship?...

I asked myself how many people I'm friends with at the moment that, if I moved and changed scenery completely would I care to keep in touch with. I surprised myself, and not in a good way. It was roughly a quarter of the people I know. Which says something because seldom is there a time I can go anywhere and someone not know me. So are my friendships headed for shambles?... Probably not.

What saves friendships and relationships in general is the reality that they are symbiotic. What is brought to the table must equal or excede what is taken away from them. If there is only upwards of take, often times there won't be a relationship in the end to salvage... Only those that you immerse yourelf in will leave you prepared for a storm.

2 comments:

  1. I think everyone conforms to there surrounding, as long as you know your true purpose going in you should be fine…but I like blog…

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some aspects I agree, however, the problem with proximity is that you never know when someone will spark your interest. There are also times when you are forced to hold conversation with people who you actually have no future with... But, shit happens.

    ReplyDelete