Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hinderance of Technology

A couple months ago a close friend who I know to be quite talented, intelligent and quite charming sprialed out of control. Upon further inspection as to what was going on, it was revealed to me the reason for this breakdown (which now causes frequent anxiety attacks) was because of technology. 

We as a people, especially in the 18-25 age group are so reliant on technology that it has become an intricate part of our everyday lives. People rarely visit each others houses anymore to play baseball or basketball or go to the mall to shop. Instead friendly visits are Call of Duty via Xbox live, and if there are in fact trips to the mall or some kind of social setting most people can't go 15 minutes without texting someone else, even though they are in good company. 

I don't want to say I despise this technology but sometimes it hinders our lives more than it helps them. When was the last time you wrote a letter? How long has it been since you've had an intersting conversation with someone that didn't involve you having to call an audible to answer a text. It's become so bastardly that "are you on Facebook?" is an applicable (yet still despicable) pickup line. 

While there are pros to technology, texting, sexting and social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter (which are in my iPhone cache as recognized words as I write this blog) I feel as though they are taking a large part of humanistic luminescence from our lives. As an avid murderer of phones I've had to go days at a time without a phone, or updating my Facebook status or blogging and it freaked people out. Is that what we've become? Bound by the electronics in our lives, letting them define who we are? I'm down for being materialistic, but seriously, it may be the man who makes the clothes, but it's the gadget that makes the man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment